Sunday, February 14, 2010

UNdone: Prayer

If my people pray…

A little over a year ago I hopped on a bus from NYC and headed into Philly. Now, for those of you that know me, you know that this isn’t anything out of the ordinary. I mean, seriously, one time in back in high school I felt like a Cheese steak, so I went straight to Geno’s and came straight home. But, this time was different. So much so that a picture I took that day is the wallpaper on my cell phone. What made this particular trip so different? It was an answer to my prayer.

You see, at that point, although I was a Christian, I was VERY far from God. Things were happening that were beyond my control and far beyond my understanding. It took everything I had in me just to keep it together, which I wasn’t doing a very good job of. So I went to Pastor Jeremy and asked “How do we fix me?” His answer, of course, was that “we” don’t. We “tap out”, go to Jesus and let him do his thing. Being fairly new to this whole Christianity thing, I had no idea what that meant. Really, I didn’t even know how to pray.

Then came the day I reached my breaking point. A friend had sent me a MySpace video centered around Romans 3:23 (“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”), filled with images of a young girl going through many of the same things I struggled with before becoming a Christian, and it hit me hard. A lot harder than I’m sure he intended. That was the proverbial “last straw”.

So, that night, without even meaning to, I prayed - literally crying out to God “I don’t know what to do! Just tell me what you want me to do!” And He did. As clearly as if someone were in the room with me, I was told “Go!” (Lech-Lecha for all you Genesis lovers out there.) Of course, at this point I’m thinking “Great Cat, as if people don’t think you’re crazy enough, now you’re hearing voices!” But, nevertheless, I went.

When I got off the bus, staring at Independence Hall, I literally had my breath taken away for the second time in my life (the first is another story for another time). And in that moment I knew (that I knew that I knew) that God had answered my prayer.

Now, we flash forward a full year, where I have the honor and privilege of co-facilitating UNdone, our Monday night corporate prayer service at FHCC. And week after week I am blown away by the power of prayer, something that most of us (all of us, at one time or another, if we’re really honest) take for granted. So, for those of you who are ready to “tap out” and let Jesus do His thing, come down to the FHCC Campus (67-08 Ingram St. in Forest Hills) THIS Monday at 7pm…

“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” ~2 Chronicles 7:14

UNdone: Prayer
Monday Nights @ 7pm
INSIDE the FHCC Campus (6708 Ingram St)
www.fhcchurch.com