Tuesday, November 10, 2009

UNplugged Rewind

Every Monday night we gather to dissect the previous Sunday's text. Going verse by verse, we examine how each verse relates to the other, and how the characters and truths in the story are being relayed to the reader. This open and critical approach to scripture not only allows us helps us to better understand how to read the Bible, but just as importantly, it provides us with a firm understanding of practical life application.

This week we tackled Gen. 19:12-22. And while there were many great lessons to be extracted from this passage, last night revealed the greatest: v.18-20

18
But Lot said to them, "No, my lords, please! 19 Your servant has found favor in your eyes, and you have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can't flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I'll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn't it? Then my life will be spared."

We Are Lot:
Inwardly, Lot loved his life in Sodom. He had fame, security, and friends; but he also had condemnation and guilt. Graciously, the Lord came, trumped Lot's will, and offered him salvation in the nearby hills. Yet, rather than trust the Lord and find a new life in Him, Lot seeks a compromise where he can still be "saved," yet remain with all the familiarities of his sinful life (small city of Zoar).

How many of us have behaved exactly like Lot? Just as in the case with Lot, all of us who are Christians have received what we needed, but not what we wanted. If we were honest, we would admit that sin is fun, and we enjoy the false high it brings. Sure, we hate consequences, but we love the act. Nevertheless, the Lord comes and offers us salvation. He sets us free from sin, and then calls us to a new life found not in this world, but in His holy word. And how do we respond? Compromise.

"10% tithe? How about I give whatever makes me happy?"

"I can't sleep with my girl/boyfriend? How about we just "fool around?"

"I can't gamble? How about I just buy a lottery ticket?"

"I can't gossip? How about I just blog?"

And, on and on we go...forgetting that the Lord allowed Lot to have "his way," and that Lot's decision brought nothing but fear, disgrace, and a life void of God's presence. (Gen. 19:30-38)