Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zombies: Part 0

First, I have to admit that the "zombie" concept is not my own. I first heard it used in a sermon by Peter Hiett, the then-pastor at Lookout Mountain Community Church outside of Denver, CO. He is now at The Sanctuary, a church in Denver. His sermon was derived from Matthew 23:27, which happens to be the passage behind Zombies: Part 1. I thought that the idea of "zombies" captured so much, that I've long desired to flesh it out a bit more than Peter did in that sermon.

Here's what to expect:
  1. I'm going to try to get through all of it by Friday, but that's no promise. I will also try to get a new part up everyday. We'll see how that goes.

  2. As far as content is concerned, each post centers around the fact that zombies are dead through-and-through. They live only at the expense of the living. Zombies have two goals: (i) find living humans and (ii) eat them. It's not a pretty picture, but it is the world we live in. The series will culminate with the source of true life by focusing on The Lord's Supper. I think we'll see some interesting ideas arise about the nature of the church, the individual, and the individual's relation to Jesus through the church.
I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, so I'll stop there. Comments are both welcome and appreciated.

N.b., I posted Part 1 first so it shows up below this post. So read this first, then keep going to Part 1. You'll get Zombies: Part 2 tomorrow.

Jeremy Green